There are certain times of the year and season in our lives, which may prompt us to start or think about setting goals. But, we cannot seem to get to it for whatever reason.
I have found that there are many stages to goal setting. There is the initial thought that enters our minds. Then, we daydream on how we will feel once we crush the goal. There are usually a few times that we stick our key in the ignition, but we don’t even turn the key.
If our busy lives and willpower allow us to even start on a goal, then the spirit of quitting and giving up hits us in the face.
Goals can be hard and exhausting, right? Yes, they can be. However, it doesn’t compare to the reward or feeling of accomplishment. Over the past year, I have really tried to be more intentional about goal setting and accomplishing my goals. One of the most important things about goal setting is to put God first. So, I have compiled a list of 31 bible verses about setting goals that you may find helpful.
If you are looking for goalsetting basics, then reviewing the bible verses about setting goals would be a great place to start. I have grouped the scriptures based off my G.O.A.L. system. G.O.A.L. is all about your mindset before you even think about writing down your vision. G.O.A.L. stands for God, Observation, Accountability and Love. By incorporating G.O.A.L. and these bible verses goals into your plan, you will be taken measures to go further than you have before.
Bible Verses About Setting Goals: 31 to Keep in Mind!
These verses about setting goals include Old and New Testament readings. I primarily use the New International Version unless otherwise noted.
God Should Be First
This group of bible verses about setting goals kicks off with the G in the G.O.A.L. system. It is great to plan and actually can be fun to do. However, it is important to remember that God should be first.
Psalms 20:4: May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.
Proverbs 3:5-6 -Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
Jeremiah 17:7 – But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him.
Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (NKJV)
Ephesians 3:20 – Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us
Matthew 6:33 – But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Proverbs 16:9 – In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.
Matthew 21:22 – If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer
Psalms 37:4 – Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Observe Others with Similar Goals
Before jumping into your goals, take some time to learn what the actions and even consequences of them would be. The following bible verses about setting goals take into the consideration the need for planning and research.
10. Isaiah 32:8 – But the noble make noble plans, and by noble deeds they stand.
11. Ecclesiastes 5:3 – A dream comes when there are many cares,and many words mark the speech of a fool.
12. Proverbs 13:4 – A sluggard’s appetite is never filled, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied.
13. Proverbs 21:5 – The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty.
14. Proverbs 6:6 – Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise!
15. Luke 14:28-30 – Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’
Accountability is Key
This next set are verses on accountability. While it is important for us to be all in when it comes to our individual goals. It is also helpful to have people and practices in place that will hold you accountable on the hard days. These bible verses on setting goals reminds us that accountability is a key to success.
16. Romans 12:2 – Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
17. Colossians 3:23 – Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,
18. Proverbs 15:22 – Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.
19. Hebrews 10: 24-25 – And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
20. Proverbs 27:5-6 – Better is open rebuke than hidden love. Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.
21. Proverbs 17:17 – A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.
22. Proverbs 27:17 – As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.
Love and Commit to Your Goals
There will be days that you will seriously want to throw in the towel. But, I want you to treat your goals differently this time around. You have to be determined to not give up and stay in it for the long haul. This set of scriptures about setting goals are here to encourage you to stick with it!
23. 2 Chronicles 15:7 – But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.
24. Philippians 3: 12-14 – Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
25. 2 Corinthians 12: 9 – But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
26. Proverbs 16: 3 – Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.
27. Isaiah 43:18 – Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
28. Hebrews 12:1-3 – Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
29. Romans 5:3-5 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.
30. Hebrews 10: 35-36 – So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.
Benefits of Writing Your Goals Down
This last bible verse about setting goals reminds of the importance of writing our vision down.
31. Habakkuk 2:2-3 – Then the Lord replied: “Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets, so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.
When it comes to our goals, we can make big plans. But, we should always desire Godly success. This means that we are putting God first and seeking His will. Let these bible verses about setting goals kick off your strategy.
Bible Verses About Setting Goals – Go A Step Further!
I have created a one page Bible Reading plan that include these 31 bible verses about goal setting. You might want to take it a step further and do some scripture writing. You can also pair the plan with my Let’s Goal Worksheet. The worksheet provides guidance using the G.O.A.L. system for planning.
Peace and Blessings,
Want More on Goals? Take a look at these articles from fellow bloggers
Vision Board Basics: 3 simple steps to make one and how to use it
Crosswalk – Bible Verses to Help with Goal Setting